Most women experience low blood pressure during pregnancy and it is considered very normal in most of cases. However, very low blood pressure may cause risk to baby and women herself during pregnancy levels. Basically blood pressure drops because the circulation expands during pregnancy and hormonal changes cause the blood vessels to dilate, leading to a lowering of blood pressure.
Overall, low blood pressure does not show any serious concern or problem during pregnancy as some people have low blood pressure their whole lives and have no signs of it. But very low blood pressure can lead to falls, organ damage, or shock. If anyone experiences big drops in blood pressure or hypotension during pregnancy, you must consult your doctor right away as sometimes constant low blood pressure depicts the sign of ectopic pregnancy, which happens when a fertilized egg implants outside of a woman’s uterus.
What Causes Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy?
What causes low blood pressure during pregnancy?It is crucially important to understand the possible causes and factors which are responsible for causing low blood pressure during pregnancy because some studies have suggested that low blood pressure during pregnancy may lead to problems, such as stillbirth and low birth weight. Apart from such serious conditions, low blood pressure causes dizziness and even fainting during pregnancy. Following are the identified causes which are held responsible for causing low blood pressure (hypotension) during pregnancy:
- Dehydration: Lack of water intake that can cause weakness, dizziness and fatigue.
- Internal bleeding
- Prolonged bed rest
- Certain medications
- Heart conditions
- Endocrine disorders
- Nutritional deficiencies: Lack of the vitamins B-12 and foliate can keep your body from producing enough red blood cells (anemia), causing low blood pressure.
- An allergic reaction i.e. anaphylaxis which is triggered due to unhygienic foods, certain medications, insect venoms and latex to cause breathing problems, hives, itching, a swollen throat and a dangerous drop in blood pressure.
Low Blood Pressure Symptoms (Signs of Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy)
Signs and symptoms of low blood pressure during pregnancy are very vivid as sudden drop in low blood pressure causes severe dizziness and fainting. There are some other symptoms of hypotension (low blood below 90/60 mm Hg) during pregnancy:
- Dizziness and lightheadedness, especially when standing or sitting up
- blurred vision
- unusual thirst
- clammy, pale, or cold skin
- rapid or shallow breathing
- lack of concentration
Effective Home Remedies for Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
As it’s been told that low blood pressure is not a serious problem during pregnancy and it is common during this phase but extreme drop in blood pressure can cause severe health problems and lead low birth weight or abortion too. So it is obligatory to treat low blood pressure to avoid dizziness and fainting during pregnancy as it would be better for mother and baby both. Here we are narrating the 15 Effective Home Remedies for low blood pressure during pregnancy which are tested and promising to deal with hypotension and reduce the impact of low prenatal blood pressure on the health of a baby.
1. Avoid Hot Water Shower during Pregnancy
Pregnant women should adapt some healthy lifestyle changes which will easy the phase of pregnancy and those women who feel dizzy and weak due to low blood pressure during pregnancy, they are advised to do not take bath with hot water at all. Hot bath or hot water shower during pregnancy is supposed to low the blood circulation which will result in lowering the blood pressure drastically. You better prefer shower with cold water as cold jets of water, increase the blood pressure by stimulating the sympathetic nervous system.
2. Drink more Fluids to Control Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
The very trick and effective remedy to deal with low blood pressure during pregnancy is the assurance of drinking more and more fluids i.e. fresh juices, soups, herbal teas etc. You must avoid heavy amount of coffee and black tea. Just keep in mind to drink two to three liters of (unsweetened) liquid per day, such as water and diluted fruit juices throughout your pregnancy, as it will boost the circulation of blood through your veins to maintain your blood pressure.
3. Eat meals more often to get rid of Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
During low blood pressure, the very first thing that drops your blood pressure is that maybe you are hungry or your sugar level is low.
Pregnant women should avoid large portions of meals as big meals concentrate the blood in the digestive tract. Eat small portions of food as healthy snacking helps in preventing the sudden drop in blood pressure that one may experience after meals.
4. Sprinkle salt as magic powder for the treatment of low blood pressure during Pregnancy
During low blood pressure in pregnancy, it is so understood that one must increase the intake of salt! World Health Organization suggests that daily diet must contain at one teaspoon of added salt besides what you derive from natural from fruits and vegetables. During pregnancy, to deal with low blood pressure, you can add adequate amount of salt in lime water, omelet, or whatever you eat!
5. Caffeine an effective rescue during Pregnancy
For low blood pressure during pregnancy, a cup of coffee at the right time can get the circulation going. If your blood pressure dips suddenly, a cup of coffee or tea can boost the blood circulation during early pregnancy. Keep in mind that coffee and tea cannot be a permanent solution as the blood pressure drops even further to rock bottom when deprived of coffee.
6. Use Almond Milk to fight with Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
Hypotension might make you feel low and dizzy throughout the day, so it is obligatory that you should pamper with your body with good fats to avoid low blood pressure during pregnancy. A traditional but healthy drink of almonds and milk can do the magic for you, as there is no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk. In fact, almonds are rich in healthy fats like Omega-3 fatty acids. Almonds is an effective home remedy to get rid from morning sickness during pregnancy.
How to prepare Almond Milk during Pregnancy?
- Take 5-6 almonds and soak them in water overnight
- Make paste of it by peeling off the skin
- Boil the paste of almonds in a cup of water
- Drink it regularly as energy drink in the morning to keep you satisfied throughout the day
7. Use Rosemary as a Low Blood Pressure Medicine
In a study of “Journal of Ethnopharmacology,” published in 2000, it was suggested that using a daily dose of 10 ml/kg of 8 or 16 percent rosemary extract in distilled water produces diuretic properties(water pills used to manage high blood pressure) by eliminating water and electrolytes from the body in animals. Basically rosemary being a natural herb is loaded with several essentials oils and the essential oil camphor found in rosemary helps stimulate the respiratory system and promote blood circulation. All you need to do is taking up to 10 ml of rosemary tincture per day for maintaining low the blood pressure during pregnancy. Or you can simply add three to four drops of rosemary essential oil in your diffuser for aromatherapy benefits.
8. Siberian Ginseng
Siberian Ginseng is known for strengthening your body and increases your general resistance to stress. The roots of the this plant (Siberian Ginseng) are being used to make medicine heart and blood vessels such as high blood pressure, low blood pressure, hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis), and rheumatic heart disease.
How to use Siberian Ginseng for low blood pressure during pregnancy?
- Take 1 or 2 teaspoons of sliced Siberian ginseng root to the pan
- Pour the hot or boiling water to fill these root slices in that pan and allow it to boil for 20 minutes
- Strain the water into a cup and sip this herbal tea for daily to help you maintain stable blood pressure.
9. Lemon Juice during Pregnancy
Feeling dizzy due to low blood pressure during pregnancy? Then nothing is better than a glass of lemon juice to stabilize your blood pressure and give you relief from nausea in minutes. Apart from being the best way to hydrate your body, lemon juice energizes your body by promoting the liver function and aiding in proper digestion. Just take a glass of water, better with ice cubes. Add 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of sugar and pinch of salt in it to make it the effective remedy for low blood pressure during pregnancy.
Note: You can also add a lemon in a glass of sugarcane juice as it will boost your sugar level to combat low blood pressure.
10. Have a healthy diet during Pregnancy
Sometimes low blood pressure is also triggered by iron deficiency. All you do is to eat fruits and vegetables to improve the state of your blood pressure. You must understand that your blood pressure has dropped, and it is maybe because you are starving. Increase your intake of lean red meats and legumes like lentils, chickpeas and beans during pregnancy, as it will help a lot to maintain your low blood pressure and reduce the effect of anemia, which would be a disastrous outcome of iron deficiency during pregnancy.
11. Ginger during Pregnancy
For the hypotension (low blood pressure) treatment, ginger is a wonderful home remedy as it favors blood circulation.
How to use ginger to get rid from low blood pressure during pregnancy?
- Take a piece of fresh ginger(2 inches) and grate it
- Put the grated ginger in a cup of water
- Allow it to simmer for a few minutes and the drink it.
- You can have this ginger tea twice a day during pregnancy if you have severe problem of dizziness and low blood pressure. Ginger is an effective low blood pressure medicine.
12. Raisins helps to get rid of Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
Raisins are known for having effective impact on the maintenance of blood pressure levels within normal limits by supporting the function of adrenal gland. For regulating blood pressure, soak about 10 raisins in water overnight to eat these raisins one by one, on an empty stomach in the morning. You can also drink the water in which the raisins were soaked for keeping you hydrated all day along.
13. Use Motherwort during Pregnancy
Motherwort contains certain compounds such as alkaloids, caffeic acid, tannins, and flavonoids and the caffeic acid is believed to have anti–oxidant properties which has anti–fatigue component. This herb is best for regulating nerves and heart health as it can treat the heart palpitations that are indicated as irregular or fast heartbeats.
How to use it for the treatment of low blood pressure during pregnancy?
- Take 1 tablespoon of motherwort in the pot
- Add 1 cup of water and let it boil for few minutes to cover the pot and let this steep for 17 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the water to a cup by using the sieve or strainer.
- Drink motherwort tea daily to help you regulate the blood pressure levels.
14. Scotch Broom
Scotch Broom contains certain chemicals which can increase the flow of urine and thereby affect to the heart rhythm and the aerial part of this scotch broom(flower) are also used as an effective medicine for healing various problems such as poor circulations, heart problems, irregular heartbeats, & low blood-pressure. Tyramine a chemical found in Scotch Broom is one of the main reasons raising the blood pressure. The intake of this chemical in large amount can raise the blood pressure faster and this causes high blood pressure to eliminate the risk of low blood pressure during pregnancy. How to use it?
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried scotch broom tops to the pot.
- Pour the boiling water into this broom tops.
- allow it steep for about 17 to 20 minutes
- Strain the water and drink this as a tea to raise the blood pressure levels.
- You must not drink this drink too often as it can raise your blood pressure.
15. Adapt Healthy Lifestyle Changes for the treatment of Low Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
The pregnancy phase does not ask you to stand over on leg or eat gardens and drink lakes. But you must aware yourself with the effective and best possible ways to keep you and your baby healthy. For this purpose, you must adapt the following tactics for helping you maintain blood pressure and eliminate the risk of hypotension during pregnancy.
- Use more cushions while sleeping, raising upper part of the body (use two to five extra cushions to increase by 20 to 45 degrees) will prevent low blood pressure at night during which excessive volumes of water is excreted.
- Be attentive to watch out for signals i.e. dizziness, heart hurry or sweating. Sit, kneel down or squat before the pressure drops completely and everything goes black.
- Keep jiggling your feet to stimulate the muscle pump in the calves, blood is pumped from the leg to the heart and do not stand on the same spot for too long, but move up and down on the balls of your feet or walk about.
- In the morning, do not rush to get up in a snap, take a few minutes, change sides and rise and shine in a gentle manner.
- Stop drinking alcohol even the beverages or restrict it to prevent the dehydration that can cause low blood-pressure..
- Eat dark chocolate and uncooked cottage cheese for low blood pressure during pregnancy
- Pomegranates are your real partner for pregnancy to treat low blood-pressure.
- Add a healthy amount of protein, vitamin B and vitamin C complexes like lean protein, organic fruits and vegetables, plenty of fresh, dairy products, citrus fruits, eggs, and complex carbohydrates, in your diet for stabilizing the blood pressure.
Next Articles on Pregnancy: