Have you ever wonder what keeps away the fleas? These blood-sucking insects who feed on blood of mammals, jumping from one host to another must be controlled in infestation time to avoid health problems. How to Get Rid of Fleas?
To get rid of fleas is a serious health issue as they can transmit diseases like plaque and myxomatosis, which are way too problematic for pets and families. To kill these blood-sucking insects-fleas, having no wings to fly does not require fire brigade at all. All you just need are the effective and tested home remedies for fleas to get kill fleas naturally for leading lives in hygiene condition. The first thing to consider important before implementing any home remedies for fleas is, one must not take these insects too lightly. Because once you get fleas in your house or garden, do not expect healthy pets and tension-free sleeps for your kids too. Keep your pets and family itch-free via these best natural home remedies for fleas, making your lives easy and healthy.
Setting down the Top 12 Home Remedies For Fleas in short to narrate natural ways for getting rid of fleas.
1. How to Get Rid of Fleas with Salt?
Getting rid of fleas using salt is way too simple home remedy for fleas, as you can find salt in kitchen without making any extra effort. Undoubtedly, when fleas infest your place, you can expect these blood sucking insects everywhere, especially in carpets and pets. In a list of home remedies for fleas, salt is simple home remedy for flea treatment. Using salt to get rid of fleas naturally won’t just give you desired results, as salt acts as a dehydration agent and dries out the bodies of the fleas. How to use salt to get rid of fleas?
- You must refine the salt in powder form
- Sprinkle the finely grounded household salt over the carpet in even proportions.
- Brush it to spread even amounts of salt and let it sit over the carpet for 12-48 hours.
- At the end, all you just need is to use vacuuming your carpets. (NOTE: Do not allow salt to sit over the carpets for more than 2 days, as Salt can attract moisture in very hot or humid conditions. And it might end up with salty, wet carpet).
2. How to Get rid of fleas with Rosemary?
For natural flea treatment, rosemary being an effective herb can be used as natural home remedy to get rid of fleas. This natural herb being a natural flea repellant helps you to keep flea away and fight against flea infestations. Rosemary is also used with coconut oil to get rid of dandruff and hair loss.
How to use rosemary to get rid of fleas over pets and house?
You are required to make rosemary wash, as it will repel fleas while leaving your pet’s coat silky, glossy, and smelling beautiful.
- Take 2 cups of fresh rosemary leaves, add it into 4 cups of water• Let it boil for 30 minutes and allow it to cool
- After straining the rosemary leaves, use this solution to apply near the tails of pets. Where fleas are most likely to spend their holidays. (Note: Make sure you give a regular bath to your pet before apply rosemary wash to them. Do not wash off the rosemary solution; allow it to dry out naturally. You cannot use rosemary wash for cats, as According to Frances Gavin of Canine Natural Cures, the rosemary water shows severe health reactions to this remedy.
- For getting rid of fleas in house, you can sprinkle a mixture of equal parts of rosemary, rue, wormwood, fennel, and peppermint over the carpet.
- All you would need is grinding the dry forms of each herb, to make it fine powder.
- You can also massage the powder to your pets or just sprinkle a light amount to your carpet and furniture, the pet’s bed, and shady resting places outdoors.
3. How to Get Rid of Fleas with Horse Apples?
This may sound a real home remedy for fleas, as it actually works to keep fleas away for sure. Horse apples (also called Bois d’arc balls or Osage oranges) – repel several insect pests including fleas. This fruit of the native Bois d’arc tree should be mixed with equal amounts of molasses; compost tea and orange oil and shake well. And then add it to 4 to 6 ounces of this mixture per gallon of water to create the drench or spray. In the list of home remedies for fleas, Horse Apples is the most manageable remedy to get rid of fleas fast.
How to use horse apples to get rid of fleas?
- Once spray of horse apples is made, you can spray off adult fleas to kill them instantly.
- Or you can just cut a ripen horse apple fruit into sections and place them around the yard to keep fleas away. (The best thing of this natural home remedy for keeping fleas away is even after drying out; the horse apples show effective result repelling the blood-sucking fleas)
4. How to Get Rid Of fleas with Citronella Oils?
This is a highly effective essential oil for keeping away fleas, ticks and all kinds of bugs! Apart from repelling mosquitoes, Citronella oil can be used to keep fleas away. You are just supposed to add 2 drops of this essential oil to shampoo that you’ll be using to bathe your pets.To use in homes, you can add 20 drops of citronella oil in water to mop your floors for keeping fleas away.
5. How to Get Rid of Fleas and Ticks with Lavender Oil?
Being a natural essential oil, lavender has powerful insect repellent properties that make it a good choice for use in the home. You can simply add 15 drops of lavender oil with 1 table spoon of carries oil and then add it to collar cotton.
In this way, you can make natural flea and tick repelling collar for your pets. Or you can just dilute lavender oil with water to spray over your pets or carpets for getting rid of fleas in most inexpensive and easy way.
6. How to Get Rid of Fleas with Pennyroyal Herb?
Pennyroyal Herb is an excellent insect repellent and this is best substitute of using natural insect repellent remedies rather than commercial sprays based on toxins.
How to use Pennyroyal Herb to Get Rid of Fleas?
- Rub the crushed leaves on your pet
- Or just use a strong decoction the in the water when you mop the floors
- In case if you do not get fresh leaves of this hear, you can use oil of Pennyroyal Herb too. (Note: Do not use this home remedy of keeping fleas away on cats).
- Apart from repelling fleas and ticks away, this herb can be used as bite remedies because herbal oil of Pennyroyal calm the inflammation, reduce itching, are antibacterial and regenerative to damaged skin.
7. How to Get Rid of Fleas Fast with Dish Soap?
The most economic and effective way to kill fleas is dish soap. Fleas are the creepy insects that multiply in thousands to make your life hell! To kill them is only way for having itch-free lives. How to get rid of fleas with dish wash soap?
- Get a good detergent and allow it to mix in a tub.
- Let your pet have a long bath with the detergent.
- Rinse your pet with warm water until you see no dead fleas in the tub.
- Make sure you use a good amount of detergent over the face of your pet as fleas run toward to head to hide.
- For the pets, which are not tolerant to baths, you can use flea comb. Most probably, cats would demand this remedy.
- All you just need is take a bowl and mix 2-3 teaspoons of detergent.
- Comb off all the detergent from your cats, until you see no dead fleas. To use in house for keeping fleas away, dish soap can be use as a flea trap using dish soap and some water.
- Fill a plate or bowl with a mixture of warm water
- Add dish soap and place it in the rooms of your house which receive the most flea activity.
- The solution of high viscosity will trap fleas in the gluey solution. (Note: Implement this home remedy for fleas at night because, for the most part, fleas are nocturnal creatures.)
8. How to Get Rid of Fleas with Baking Soda?
To be honest, they are no chemical compounds in commercially manufactured solutions which can kill of fleas and ticks completely. But there are natural ways and home remedies for fleas for killing them off time to time, without spending loads of money. Baking soda is the simple yet holistic alternative kill off the fleas and help in getting rid of their larvae and eggs. Baking Soda is an effective home remedy for the treatment of Heartburn.
How to get rid of fleas with baking soda?
- Liberally sprinkle the salt and baking soda on the entire carpeted area.
- Dehydrating the fleas, baking soda will eventually kill them.
- After that, vacuum your home thoroughly to have a flea free home.
9. How to Get Rid of Fleas with Lemon Spray?
Lemon contains a citrus extract called D-limonene, which repels and kills these biting bugs. To kill fleas and repel the blood-sucking insects, you can make lemon spray at home very easily. For flea treatment, slice a lemon thinly and add to a pint of water and bring to the boil.
Allow it to stay overnight and pour it into a bottle the next day. Spray off the citrus solution on the infested areas in your home i.e. bedding, chairs etc. (Note: Do not soak the furniture and carpets, only damp)
10. How To Get Rid of Fleas with Diatomaceous Earth?
To fight against flea infestation, Diatomaceous Earth is an ideal home remedy for fleas. Basically, Diatomaceous earth is the microscopic remains of fossilized algae, diatoms, it comes in a very fine powder, which is non-toxic to humans and is a great natural remedy to get rid of fleas as it causes dehydration. Dehydration leads to death of fleas as well as of their larvae.
How to use Diatomaceous Earth to get rid of fleas fast?
- Sprinkle the DE in thin layers safely on your carpets, pet beddings etc.
- Let Diatomaceous earth sit in all these places for about 12-48 hours.
- Within 4-6 hours of flea treatment, Diatomaceous earth will eat up all the fleas and their eggs.
- Then you are just supposed to vacuum away all the powder and remember to discard the vacuum bag.(Note: Always use hand protection while using Diatomaceous earth powder as it may cause skin irritation)
11. How to Get Rid of Fleas with Boric Acid?
According to Alicia Leytem, a pesticide specialist at Oregon State University’s National Pesticide Information Center, Boric acid can easily kill fleas in few minutes. Since adult fleas only feast on blood, they will not eat or ingest boric acid; even then boric acid is absorbed by a flea’s body and will kill them through the process of dehydration.
Now read how to get rid of fleas and ticks with boric acid:
- Take boric acid in a shaker bottle
- Spray off thin layers of the substance over carpets and below furniture
- Leave the boric acid to react for 12-48 hours.
- Vacuum the whole infected area treated with boric acid. Keep in mind, boric acid can discolor fabrics so you must use it in small amount.
- Vacuum the treated area regularly to get rid of dead fleas. (Note: According to Alicia Leytem, “Because it’s a pesticide, it’s intended to kill something. All pesticides have some level of toxicity,” so you must keep it out of reach of pets and children)
12. How to Get Rid of Fleas Instantly with Apple Cider Vinegar?
In a list of home remedies for fleas, apple cider vinegar might sound the most manageable and simple remedy for flea treatment. Apple cider vinegar is frequently used to treat the pimples and acne.
How to get rid fleas with Apple Cider Vinegar?
- Take a clean spray bottle
- Fill it with 1/2 water and 1/2 apple cider vinegar
- Spray off the solution over your pets, even on cats. Let the solution air dry
- It will not just kill fleas away, but apple cider vinegar act as an insect pesticide to keep them away for future. (Note: Apple cider vinegar won’t be harmful to pets, even if they lick it)This handy weapon of apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle can also be used over furniture and carpets to kill fleas hiding in the warm and cozy places.
Must Read the Following Articles:
- How to Get Rid of Heartburn Fast Naturally?
- How to Stop Dizziness? Top 16 Home Remedies for Dizziness
- How to Get Rid of Blackheads on Nose? 12 Effective Home Remedies
Now watch the following video related to the above article “How to Get Rid of Fleas? Top 12 Home Remedies for Fleas.”