Does your chest burn or sometimes you feel as your heart is burning, but you feel awfully helpless? Let us find out why you have such burning sensations in your breast bone and how to get rid of heartburn quickly.
What is Heartburn?
You might have noticed that sometimes you feel a burning pain in the lower chest that occurs after eating often. That burning feeling is termed as ‘Heartburn’, which are created by acid reflux. Acid reflux develops a condition in which stomach acid flows back into the esophagus, generating burning pain in the lower chest. When the stomach contents (including stomach acid and digestive juices) are forces back into esophagus (food pipe-a pathway of moving food from mouth to stomach), you may feel minor to dreadful pain of heartburns and these persistent acid reflux conditions suggest the development of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Causes and Symptoms of Heartburn
Heartburn caused by acid reflux do not just cause pain in the lower chest, but it is accompanied by following different heartburn symptoms which vary from person to person.
- Burning feeling in the breast bone or right in the middle of your chest, a feeling as your heart your heart is burning and chest is ripping off slowly
- Continuous burning feeling, especially after laying down after eating
- Salty or sour taste in the back of your throat as like salty acid is moving upwards in your throat
- Heartburns may cause difficulty in swallowing the food or even water because of sore throat and nausea
- Heart burns may develop a sensation as food is stuck in lower chest or near your throat somewhere
Do not ignore these bad heartburn symptoms, as people often experience chest pain and burning feeling in the breast bone, during an actual heart attack as pain can be caused reduced blood flow to your heart.
Heartburn causing inflammation in the breast bone is caused by many factors. As heartburn is referred as a common symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease, which causes the stomach acid and digestive juices to come up into esophagus (food pipe), that damages the unprotected lining of food pathway and throat.
Following are the causes of heartburn which trigger the condition of bad heartburn:
Eating too much food in large portions, especially greasy and oily food can fuel the flame of heartburn.
Consumption of big and oily food before bed-time
If you are stuffing your stomach with big meals of fried food it may exert distention or pressure in stomach walls, which ultimately move acids in wrong direction
Heartburns are also caused by eating high fat foods, as they tend to stay in stomach for long time and keep producing acid to damage your digestive system.
Some foods and drinks also contribute a big role to raise the burning pain of heartburns i.e. red wine, raw garlic, raw onions , black pepper and spicy food.
- Soda and tea (caffeinated drinks)
- Citrus fruits i.e. oranges/orange juice, pineapple, lemons and grapefruit
- Chocolate (shockingly)
Apart from these factors that can cause heartburn, being over-weight or obese worsen the situation and increase the chances to develop gastroesophageal reflux diseases more often.
Treatment of heartburn: How To Get Rid of Heartburn?
Doctors may prescribe medicines to relieve heartburn. But it would be better to deal heartburn with home remedies in natural way instead of piling on drugs and pills. In this article you will learn how to treat heartburn without medicine in detail.
Home Remedies For Heartburn
What is good for indigestion and heartburn? Here we have short-listed the 12 most effective home remedies for heartburn, which will relieve heartburn (throat and chest burning) immediately. With these home remedies for heartburn you can do severe heartburn treatment at home.
(1) Do Not Lay Down Ever To Cure Heartburn
The very first and basic home remedy for heartburn is, kindly do not lie down while having burning sensations in the chest. Basically when you lay down, flat over a bed or floor, the stomach and throat come up to the same level, increasing the risk of digestive juices and stomach acids to flow up into esophagus. This ultimately triggers the salty or sour taste at your throat end and you may experience drastic inflammation of heartburn into your breast bone.
What to do:
- Avoid fatty or fried foods at night time
- Eat your dinner at least 3-4 hours before going to bed
- Use a wedge-shaped pillow to substitute regular pillows. Wedge-shaped pillows of at least 6-10 inches thickness raise your entire upper body, blocking the pathway of stomach fluids to travel into esophagus.
(2) Decrease The Intake Of Food That Increases Stomach Acid
Among the super effective natural home remedies for heartburn, this one might be more logical and working. You must lower the intake of some foods that are responsible to trigger heartburn by increasing stomach acid and damage your digestive system, such as:
- Raw garlic
- Raw Onions
- Citrus Fruits (oranges and grapefruit)
- Fried and Greasy Foods
- Coffee and all caffeine products
- Alcohol (especially red wine)
(3) Eat Almonds For Heartburn Treatment
According to Dr, Millie Lytle, a naturopathic doctor in New York, raw almonds can help to cure heartburn quickly as they are alkaline-producing food, which helps to balance stomach pH, being rich in calcium. A handful of almonds will ease acid reflux as beside form calcium-rich alkaline food, almonds are a good source of fiber that helps to reduce the risk of acid reflux symptoms. Almonds treat heartburn naturally and this is known as the best remedy for heartburn.
(4) Baking Soda To Relieve Heartburn Immediately
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate contains an alkaline pH. Hence it can be used in natural home remedy to treat heartburn quickly. Baking soda is a natural antacid and it lowers the acid reflux by neutralizing the excess stomach acids.
How to cure heartburn quickly with Baking Soda?:
- Take a glass of water (4 ounce)
- Add ½ teaspoon or ¼ table-spoon of baking soda (it must be dissolved well in the water)
- Now you are supposed to sip the mixture slowly to avoid side-effects of gas or diarrhea
- You can have this mixture of sodium bicarbonate and water every 2 hours until the heartburn are relieved.
Do not use this mixture on daily basis as it can create digestive problems by increasing the alkaline level of body.
(5) Banana for Heartburn Treatment
Bananas can do wonder to relieve heartburn immediately and treat heartburn naturally. Banana is an alkaline fruit that directly helps to neutralize the stomach acid (stomach acid relief), causing condition of acid reflux. People having problem of heartburn must eat bananas regularly as they contain rich amount of potassium, which is important component for better digestion and absorption of food into stomach acid. Potassium-an alkalizing mineral reduces the acidity of stomach and lowers the chances of acid reflux to minimize the inflammation of heartburn. Bananas are the quick way to get rid of acid reflux.
(6) Aloe Vera Juice for Heartburn Treatment
Aloe Vera Juice for heartburn is being used for medicine purposes and beautification since Egyptian tomes. Apart from smoothing the skin and healing the skin burns and wounds, aloe Vera juice can help to relieve heartburns. As aloe Vera is brimmed with anti-inflammatory properties, vitamins, mineral and amino acids. Aloe Vera helps to boost digestion and elimination of toxins from the body. It provided relief from burning sensation of heartburn, being a proven natural agent, it rebalance the entire digestive system.
How To Get Rid Of Heartburn fast with Aloe Vera?
- Get decolorized or purified aloe Vera juice from the drug store
- Take ½ cup of Aloe Vera juice
- Drink it before meals at least 20 minutes prior to meals.
- Do not consume it in high amount, as being a laxative it may trigger loose motion.
(7) Apple Cider Vinegar for Heartburn Treatment
You must be thinking that why you should take the acidic vinegar to cure the acid reflux, when you are already having heartburn having extra acid in your stomach! This is the quickest way to get rid of heartburn.
Basically, apple cider vinegar helps in digestion by breaking the fats and minimizes the acid reflux.
Moreover the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is an alkaline based component, which helps in better digestion of food, thus preventing acid reflux and heartburn.
How to get rid of heartburn fast by using the Apple Cider Vinegar (best remedy for heartburn).
Is apple cider vinegar good for heartburn? Of course, YES 🙂
- Take a glass of water (8 ounces either cold or warm)
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into it
- Drink it regularly to cure heartburn quickly
(8) Chamomile Tea for Heartburn Treatment
Chamomile tea help to reduce inflammation in your stomach and chest (caused by heartburns),as it balances the acidity levels in your stomach. Chamomile’s anti-inflammatory properties help to lower the burning pain in the esophagus and breastbone. Basically chamomile is best remedy for heart burn and reduces the pepsin activity in the gastrointestinal tract, against stomach acids and soothes the lining of esophagus too.
How to get rid of heartburn fast by using Chamomile Tea (Quick Relief for Heartburn)
- Take a cup of water
- Boil it and add 1 tablespoon of dried chamomile herb
- Let it steep for 15-20 minutes
- Strain it before drinking
- Chamomile tea for heartburn is ready now!
- You can drink chamomile tea up to 4 cups a day for heartburn and other digestive problems.
(9) Chewing Gum for Heartburn Treatment
Chewing gum for heartburn sounds the cutest home remedy for heartburn relief. You must be curious that how does a bubble gum can cure heartburn. As a matter of fact, chewing a gum stimulates saliva production, which ultimately helps to neutralize the stomach acid (stomach acid relief) and minimize the pain of heartburn. In addition, chewing gum allows the frequent swallowing of saliva that clear the irritating stomach juices from the esophagus immediately. Chewing a gum gives emergency heartburn relief fast and acid indigestion relief.
(10) Ginger Tea For Heartburn Relief
Ginger Tea for heartburn relief is the quickest way to get rid of heartburn. Ginger is a well known natural stomach soother and its small portion can relieve gastrointestinal irritation. Being a stomach soother and loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, ginger lower the inflammation and irritation of heartburn. Surprisingly it absorbs the excess stomach fluids to regulate the flow of juices in digestive system. Moreover, acid reflux can be treated by ginger intake as it tightens the lower esophageal sphincter to stop the back-flow of digestive juices into esophagus, in addition to proper digestion.
How to get rid of heartburn with Ginger Tea
- Take one inch of ginger stick
- Mince it in small pieces
- Add the ginger pieces into a cup of boiling water
- Let it boil for 5 minutes and allow it to steep for 20 minutes
- Strain the ginger tea
- You are supposed to drink the ginger tea 2 times a day
- You must have it before meals to get rid of heartburn
(11) Lose Weight for Heartburn Treatment
Researchers have proved that being over-weight or obese increases abdominal pressures that trigger the condition of acid reflux-making stomach acid to travel in back flow towards esophagus. Aside from heartburn, people with overweight become susceptible to many health problems of heart attack and blood pressure too. If you are overweight, you might suffer from occasional heartburn and stomach disorders more often. So it is obligatory for people to maintain a healthy diet to lose weight and shed off extra pounds.
(12) Wear Lose Clothes For Heartburn Relief
To get rid of heartburn, many logical tips can be implemented in daily life and you must admit that wearing tight fitting clothes make you uncomfortable and sometimes suffocating too. You can avoid wearing tight jeans and switch to pajamas to control your heartburn. It would be cool and classy to wear stretchy and comfortable clothes as health and mental peace should always be a first priority than being a restless animal.
All these home remedies for acid reflux and heartburn are 100 % effective and tested too. The above mentioned heartburn indigestion home remedies are the best ways to stop acid reflux fast. You must understand your symptoms and conditions before implementing any of this home remedy as it is not necessary that baking soda suits to your friend, so it should suits you too. You can try the apple cider vinegar or other home remedies for acid reflux and heartburn too. It is to be noted that during pregnancy, you may experience occasional heartburns, but you must consult your doctor before implementing any home remedy. To get rid of heartburn, you can lose weight, avoid fatty foods and avoid the carbonated drinks that are directly involved to raise the acidity level in your stomach.
Read Next Hand-picked Articles: